As November inches closer and closer, Donald Trump’s tax returns are going to become a bigger deal. They’ve been mentioned off and on over the last few months, but once September and October roll around, scrutiny is going to reach its peak – and that’s when you’ll start seeing much more pressure placed on him to release his returns.
The problem is, that’s not likely ever going to happen.
While I’m a big proponent of “never saying never,” it would shock me to see Donald Trump release several years worth of his tax returns. So far, he’s gone out of his way to make up ridiculous excuses as to why he hasn’t released them, and I really don’t see his explanations getting more factually-based or rational between now and November.
There are several reasons why I don’t think we’ll ever see Trump’s tax returns. In fact, here are six of the reasons why he’ll probably never make them public.
1. He hasn’t donated to charity nearly as much as he claims he has: He’s claimed to have donated millions to charity over the years — especially veterans groups. However, in over seven years of reports from his own charity, The Washington Post found that he had donated less than $10,000.
2. The returns could show unethical and shady business connections: After publicly declaring that he has no ties to Russian investments, the last thing Trump would want to come out is indisputable evidence that he did on the heels of stunning news that Russia’s government was likely behind the illegal hack of the DNC in an apparent attempt to influence our presidential election. And that’s just links to Russia; he could have all sorts of highly questionable connections to shady business dealings.
3. He paid almost nothing in taxes: This didn’t really impact Mitt Romney in 2012, but I think a lot of people are curious as to how much Mr. Trump has paid in taxes over the years.
4. His business success isn’t nearly what he claims it is: Sure, we already know about his numerous bankruptcies. However, just because a business didn’t go bankrupt doesn’t mean it was successful. To listen to Donald Trump talk, he acts as if nearly everything he touches turns into gold. Well, his tax returns could blow a huge hole in this idea that he’s a “brilliant businessman” by exposing how often he’s failed.
5. They could expose how much of a hypocrite he is when it comes to trade agreements and outsourcing jobs: Donald Trump has tried to sell himself as a “man’s man of American greatness” who’s tired of trade agreements destroying jobs. However, we already know that many of the products his companies have produced are made overseas. But we really don’t know how much Trump has personally and professionally benefitted from many of the same economic policies our government has that he claims are so “terrible” and “stupid.” His tax returns could offer us some more insight into how big of a hypocrite “The Donald” really is.
6. He’s not as rich as he claims he is: This is the big one. Donald Trump claims he’s worth around $10 billion. However, many experts have questioned that amount, with some even suggesting that he’s not even a billionaire. As egotistical and arrogant as Trump is, the last thing he would want made public are financial records that expose him for being a fraud.
If you ask me, I don’t believe Trump could care less if people think he’s shady, a hypocrite, paid nothing in taxes or didn’t donate to charity. In fact, I’m almost certain he’d come up with asinine excuses for all of that.
However, when it comes to how much he’s actually worth, that’s a big part of who he is. He wants people to think he’s some super-successful multibillionaire because that’s all part of his “brand.” That’s why I’m fairly confident he’ll never show us his returns – because they would prove that he’s rich, but that he’s not nearly as wealthy as he claims. This would be a massive blow to his ego.
I honestly believe that if he had to choose between exposing the lie about how much he’s worth or winning the presidency, he’d much rather lose the White House than have it made public that he’s not as “really, really rich” as he wants us to believe.
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- Rick Wilson Excoriates Trump Supporter: ‘Don’t You Dare Talk About Respect’ (Video) - March 17, 2018
- Everything Facebook’s Doing to Combat Fake News is Only Making the Problem Worse - March 16, 2018
- Fox News’ The Five Advocates Committing War Crimes, Denies Waterboarding is Torture (Video) - March 15, 2018