In one of those stories you really need to read to believe, some Republicans participating in the debate over Syria have pushed the idea that President Obama is using Syria to distract from the “scandals” of Benghazi, the NSA, IRS and “Obamacare.”
Oh, not only that, but one claims that Obama simply can’t be trusted about Syria because of Benghazi.
Republican Representative Joe “You lie!” Wilson spoke in most detail about his asinine claim that Obama is using Syria to distract the American people from the “plethora” of scandals “plaguing” the Obama administration:
“With the president’s red line, why was there no call for military response in April? Was it delayed to divert attention today from the Benghazi, IRS, NSA scandals, the failure of Obamacare enforcement, the tragedy of the White House-drafted sequestration or the upcoming debt limit vote? Again, why was there no call for a military response four months ago when the president’s red line was crossed?”
So, if I’m reading this right (and I’d like to think that I am) Rep. Wilson is claiming that Obama is using Syria now to divert attention from “scandals” back in April?
Yes, that’s exactly what he said.
And let’s just look at the list of crap he speaks about here.
- Benghazi: It’s been debunked so many times I’m shocked Mythbusters hasn’t made an episode about it.
- IRS: Another right-wing made up conspiracy that showed Darrell Issa was a fraud and there was absolutely no White House conspiracy.
- The NSA: You know, the agency that was given the power they have by the Patriot Act originally created under the Bush presidency.
- “Obamacare enforcement”: I wonder if he’s actually referring to those Republican-controlled states which are doing everything they can to block the health care law from being properly implemented.
- Sequestration: Something that was forced on the American people when Republicans decided to hold a procedural vote to increase our debt ceiling hostage. A vote they never minded supporting when Bush was President.
So Obama, in a “desperate attempt to cover up these scandals,” decided to wait four months to then call for military action against Syria.
Because that makes perfect sense.
Now, had Obama went into Syria four months ago, that accusation might actually make sense. But there’s no way in which anyone with even the slightest hint of rational thought in the brain can actually believe waiting four months to get involved in Syria is somehow tied to “scandals” which were “hot-button issues” over 120 days ago.
Then let’s not forget the comments a few days ago from South Carolina Republican Jeff Duncan who said:
“I cannot discuss the possibility of the U.S. involvement in the Syrian civil war without talking about Benghazi. The administration has a serious credibility issue with the American people, due to the unanswered questions surrounding the terrorist attack in Benghazi almost a year ago. The American people deserve answers about Benghazi before we move forward in Syria’s civil war.”
Again, despite the fact that Benghazi never was any kind of “conspiracy.” It was a tool Republicans tried desperately to tag Obama with just before the 2012 elections in a last-ditch effort to try and defeat him. Then after the election, they shifted their focus towards Hillary Clinton in a preemptive strike against her possible 2016 presidential run.
But we shouldn’t really even take Mr. Duncan seriously at all. This is a man who believed Glenn Beck’s Boston Marathon bombing conspiracy theory about the government “getting the Saudi national suspected of the bombing out of the country.”
Oh, and he’s a birther as well. Enough said.
So while these Republicans want to talk about President Obama using Syria as a “distraction,” it’s clear they want to use Syria to launch their pathetic attacks on the president based on made up right-wing conspiracy theories.
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- Dear Donald Trump: It’s Absolutely None of Your Damn Business What the NFL Does - October 19, 2017
- Bill O’Reilly Tries Trolling Jake Tapper On Twitter, Gets Crushed by the CNN Host - October 19, 2017
- Here’s an Appalling List of All the Times Trump’s Disrespected Our Military and Veterans - October 18, 2017