I constantly hear Republicans harp on and on about how they’re the fighters for a “Constitutional United States.” Whenever I hear this rhetoric I just have to laugh, because I’ve said for a while now that Republicans follow a version of our Constitution that doesn’t exist. Sure they claim they love our Constitution, but reality tells another story.
- Ignore the First Amendment when it comes to religion.
- Ignore the fact that the Second Amendment contains the words “well regulated” and was really talking about the need for militias during a time in our country when our states were often defended by armed citizens, not a well organized military. It was meant to keep “well regulated militias,” comprised of local citizens, armed for times of war—not so civilians could carry them into movie theaters and schools.
- Want to change the Fourteenth Amendment which defines what it is to be an American citizen.
- Were the architects of the Patriot Act, which allows the government to spy on its citizens, violating the Fourth Amendment. Hell, the Patriot Act violates the Sixth, Seventh and Eighth Amendments as well when it comes to GITMO, terrorists and openly supporting torture. Oh wait, George W. Bush didn’t call it torture, he call it “enhanced interrogation methods”—that makes it better.
- Support an amendment banning same-sex marriage, which violates the First Amendment.
- Ignore the fact that the Third Amendment proves just how outdated some of the ideas of the Constitution are. Quartering soldiers? When was the last time this was an issue, 200 years ago?
- Ignore the Judiciary Act of 1789 in the case of abortion, where the Supreme Court ruled a woman has the right to chose. They openly continue to restrict that right which the Supreme Court says women have and our Constitution protects.
- Like to ignore the Twenty-fourth Amendment as many GOP legislatures continue to push for stricter voter ID laws. Our Twenty-fourth Amendment prevents any kind of fees charged (also known as a poll tax) to citizens exercising their right to vote.
- Also ignore the First Amendment when it comes to the insistence that prayer should be allowed in school.
- Often support the further violation of the Fourth Amendment when it comes to immigration. Supporting bills that determine suspicion based on the “appearance of being illegal” rather than any actual evidence.
And those are just a few example.
Real “Constitutional defenders,” I tell ya.
So this myth that Republicans stand for our Constitution is complete bullcrap. These people don’t love our Constitution, they love what they wish our Constitution was—but never has been.
Related stories on ForwardProgressives.com:
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- Rick Wilson Excoriates Trump Supporter: ‘Don’t You Dare Talk About Respect’ (Video) - March 17, 2018
- Everything Facebook’s Doing to Combat Fake News is Only Making the Problem Worse - March 16, 2018
- Fox News’ The Five Advocates Committing War Crimes, Denies Waterboarding is Torture (Video) - March 15, 2018