If there’s one thing that’s offended me more than the comments I heard Donald Trump make in the video released by The Washington Post, it’s been the Republican reaction to it.
Sorry Republicans, but you don’t get to jump off the sinking ship known as the Donald Trump campaign now, it’s much too late for that.
While hearing his comments was absolutely repulsive, there was nothing “shocking” or “unexpected” about the fact that he said these things — that’s who he is.
Are there people out there who watched that video, who were actually surprised that he would say something like that? If so, have you not been paying attention to who Trump has been oh, I don’t know, his entire life?
This is someone who’s made being a male chauvinist who treats women like objects instead of human beings a big part of his entire persona. These folks do realize that he’s on his third marriage to an ex-European model who’s nearly a quarter century younger than he is, right? There’s a commonly used term people use for a situation where a much older, wealthy male marries someone young enough to be his daughter, and it’s not called “true love.”
But these Republicans (both within the party and voters), don’t get to “take the high road” now when it comes to Trump. No, no, no — that option is looooooong gone. If you were with him prior to this video being released, then you’re forever tied to the sad and pathetic legacy known as Donald Trump’s presidential campaign — which just so happened to be a record-setter for number of votes received during a GOP presidential primary.
You don’t get to act as if this isn’t exactly who you knew Trump has been all along simply because you can’t spin this like you have all the other appalling things he’s said and done throughout his career and campaign.
If you didn’t run away from Donald Trump when he:
- Degraded Sen. John McCain’s war record.
- Called millions of human beings rapists and criminals.
- Mocked a disabled reporter.
- Said he wanted to ban an entire religion.
- Spent nearly eight years using blatant racism claiming that President Obama wasn’t an American.
- Re-tweeted white supremacist propaganda against African Americans.
- Implied that Ted Cruz’s wife was ugly.
- Lied about seeing “thousands and thousands” of Muslims celebrating 9/11 in the streets of New Jersey.
- Likely avoided paying taxes for nearly two decades.
- Said Alicia Machado was “disgusting,” her weight “was a real problem,” and tried to slander her with a non-existent sex tape.
- Blatantly lied about how much money he raised for veterans.
- Used (as Paul Ryan said it) the textbook definition of racism when he claimed an American-born federal judge couldn’t do his job ethically because of his Mexican heritage.
- Advocated for committing war crimes.
- Encouraged the Russian government to commit espionage against Americans.
- Hired a campaign manager who abruptly resigned after a report linked him to pro-Russian groups trying to undermine U.S. policy in Europe.
- Sought out former Fox News CEO Roger Ailes as an adviser despite overwhelming evidence that he had been sexually harassing women at the network for years.
Then you don’t get to suddenly act like you give a damn about morals or ethics because a video was leaked that’s so revolting that you’re now worried what it might do to your images and careers. If you were with Trump through everything I just listed above (and more), then that’s exactly who you are.
Hell, not only did RNC Chairman Reince Priebus defend Trump against sexism accusations a few months ago — in mid-September he publicly threatened the careers of Republicans who were refusing to endorse him if they didn’t get in line. So, for him to be one of the members of the GOP condemning these remarks is the definition of hypocrisy and a perfect example of what a gutless weasel Priebus is.
Just like I don’t “give credit” to cheaters who only admit to cheating after they’ve been caught, I’m not going to “give credit” to people who’ve stuck with one of the most detestable scumbags to ever run for president all the way up until they simply couldn’t make excuses for who he is any longer.
Because for the millions of us who’ve rejected and condemned Donald Trump this entire time (even some Republicans), none of us view these comments as anything more than a validation of our views on exactly the type of person we’ve always known he’s been.
There were plenty of times throughout his campaign where he proved how objectionable he is as a human being. Even long before he ever launched his campaign, when he built his political following by pandering to racism pushing conspiracies against the president, he showed everyone who he really was. Yet, despite all of that, most of you lined up behind him because you were all too busy making excuses for behavior that was often completely unhinged, repugnant and flat-out nauseating.
The only difference between Donald Trump now and before this video is that you all can’t spin this as “media bias,” claim that it was taken out of context or, as many of you have done throughout his campaign, flat-out deny that reality actually exists.
I have no doubt that if this were just accusations made against him from some random person from his past (without this video to prove what he said), not only would Donald Trump be lashing out at whoever claimed he made these statements (as well as whatever media outlet reported it — probably suing both, as well), but you all would be blindly lining up to defend him like most of you have done since the very beginning.
So, no, I’m sorry Republicans — you don’t get to try to save your own asses long after most of you already sold your souls to support the racist, bigoted, Islamophobic, sexist, sexual assault-advocating Donald Trump.
As I’ve said before, you’ve all cemented your places as supporters of one of the most shameful moments in United States political history.