When it comes to the results of the 2016 election, there’s a seemingly endless list of reasons why Donald Trump ultimately “defeated” Hillary Clinton. From the fact that she ran a flawed campaign, the Russian cyber attack, or James Comey’s letter just before Election Day — those are all valid reasons, each figuring into why Trump is now considered this nation’s “president.”
Even though I supported Clinton before and during the primaries, I’ll be the first to admit she wasn’t my first choice. If it were up to me, the Democratic candidate would have either been Senator Elizabeth Warren or Joe Biden. I liked both Clinton and Bernie Sanders, but I felt Warren and Biden were better choices.
That being said, it’s fairly ridiculous how Hillary Clinton’s been portrayed by the media before, during, and after the election. While it’s true she lost the electoral college vote to Trump, most folks seem to completely ignore the significance that, despite all of the external elements both domestically and internationally working against her, she still received three million more votes than he did.
Think about that for a moment. Going into last year’s election, Clinton was up against:
- A quarter century of personal attacks against herself and her family.
- Republicans dragging out the Benghazi conspiracies to ridiculous lengths since 2012, making up one lie after another about her role during that tragic attack.
- A grueling primary battle against Sanders that turned many on the far-left against her, choosing to buy into unfounded conspiracies rather than face the indisputable fact that she defeated him because minority voters overwhelmingly sided with her.
- An FBI investigation that lasted over a year.
- The now-former head of the FBI sending a controversial letter to Congress about that investigation just days before the election.
- A highly-sophisticated Russian cyber attack that methodically dumped tens of thousands of emails through WikiLeaks in a blatant attempt at hurting her chances last November, while simultaneously boosting fake news against her for months on social media.
- A political opponent in Trump who was given billions of dollars worth of free publicity by major news networks, while being a person whose campaign wasn’t bound by the normal laws of reality since practically everything he said was a lie.
Yet, despite all of that, she still won the popular vote by 3 million.
But the truth of the matter is, to this day, most of the comments I get from people continuing to bash Clinton, both from the left and the right, are based on things that simply aren’t true or factual.
Here are a few of the main things I hear from these folks:
- The Clinton Foundation is some evil, international criminal pay-for-play enterprise. (It’s actually an A-rated charity that donates 88 percent of the money it raises to charitable causes.)
- The Clintons used their charity to make themselves rich. (The family never took a salary from the foundation.)
- The Clintons have had multiple people killed. (Nope — it’s absolutely insane for anyone to believe this.)
- The primaries were rigged and Sanders never stood a chance. (In practically every state she won the majority of minority voters, especially African Americans, which is why Sanders ultimately lost.)
- Her email server was a criminal act that should have landed her in prison. (Not according to the FBI.)
- She slept through the Benghazi attack. (That attack actually occurred mid-day in Washington [not 3 in the morning as her critics have frequently claimed] where she was at when it took place.)
- The lives lost at Benghazi could have been saved had she not issued a stand-down order. (As Secretary of State, she didn’t actually have the authority to issue a stand-down order — even though one was never issued in the first place.)
- She’s nothing but a shill for Wall Street. (Considering she spent eight years as a senator from New York, yet only has one pro-Wall Street vote on her record, plus she called for tighter financial regulations in 2007, I’m not sure how that makes her a “shill” of any kind.)
- She sold uranium to Russia. (This was a deal that involved several government agencies that she played a very minor role in and didn’t even remotely involve selling U.S. uranium to Russia.)
Those are some of the most common things I’m told by people who oppose Clinton — and none of them are true.
Again, I’m not saying Clinton wasn’t flawed (she was in some ways), her campaign wasn’t poorly run (it was in some aspects), or that there weren’t a whole host of other issues that led to the embarrassment that is Trump being called this nation’s “president.” However, when you get right down to it, the one main reason why Donald Trump “won” is because so many people believed the lies and conspiracies about her, while ignoring the horrible and disgusting truths about him.
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- 10 Stats and Facts You Can Use to Educate (or Infuriate) Trumpsters - December 15, 2017
- Sanders Crashes and Burns When Asked Simple Question About Diversity of Trump Administration (Video) - December 14, 2017
- I’d Like to Address Mike Huckabee’s Laughable Insistence that Women Should Admire His Daughter (Video) - December 14, 2017