Sometimes I sit back and just ask myself, “What the hell are people thinking?” That’s exactly the sentiment I felt when I ran across the story of a Hooks Independent School District board member, Chris Harris, who posted an incredibly racist message on his Facebook depicting a hooded Ku Klux Klan member with the caption “I’m dreaming of a white Christmas” written on it.
In this day and age of social media being the quickest way for anyone to get into a lot of trouble with their employer, or the public at large, I just don’t understand why people continue to do stupid things like this.
Look, if someone wants to be a racist prick, that’s every bit their right as an American to be a racist prick in their private lives and deal with whatever consequences come their way. But to be openly racist, especially when you’re a member of a public school board, is simply unacceptable. Racism itself is bad enough, but add to it the stupidity of someone like Harris posting this on a public forum – that’s a true testament to the idiocy of this man.
But to his credit, he did issue an apology – that made very little sense. In it he claims this post was merely done out of frustration, saying, “On last Monday, I took to social media to express an inner frustration that I unfortunately verbalize in a distasteful and embarrassing manner.”
So, a post showing a member of the KKK captioned with “I’m dreaming of a white Christmas” was a depiction of a frustration he felt. Okay, and how do you go about excusing that? Considering you don’t just “happen” to support the KKK or anything at all related to them. Someone doesn’t just wake up one day, frustrated with something race related and go straight to posting images of one of the most vile white supremacist groups in our nation’s history. I’m sorry, but his apology is b.s. He’s only apologizing because of the very public backlash he received following this post.
I would love for him to elaborate and let us all know what kind of “frustrations” he faced that pushed him to post something relating to a white supremacy group.
There are two kinds of apologies:
- Where someone is legitimately sorry for something they did.
- When someone is sorry because they got caught.
I fully believe Harris falls on the latter of those two. Especially after I visited his Facebook page and found that this guy is clearly a right-wing radical, with several posts such as:
- This one professing that anyone seeing the image must “share it” to show their support in reciting our Pledge of Allegiance.
- A George W. Bush internet meme.
- Another one begging people to “save us from Obama and the stupid democrats.”
- A post telling Sen. Harry Reid to “get the f*** out.”
- This post related to Ferguson from back in October where he wrote, “I am going to tell you what if I was in charge there I give all those assholes one warning that there better not be any violence one time and one time only and if they didn’t listen I start mowing them down one (sic) the spot this shit has gone on long enough.”
- A meme he shared stating that President Obama would have been impeached by now if he were white.
- This “awesome” article he shared that comically declared Democrats were drafting a “new Constitution” so that we could elected President Obama for another term.
I know what you’re thinking, you’re shocked that someone who would post all of those ridiculous things on his Facebook page ended up posting a KKK-themed imagine expressing his desire for “a white Christmas.” Because it’s absolutely unheard of to hear about some right-wing conservative posting or saying something blatantly racist, right?
I don’t believe for a second he’s sorry for what he posted. The only reason he’s apologizing at all is because he’s now in a decent amount of trouble and is trying to do whatever damage control he can, hoping to save his job.
When I first came across this story I was going to chalk this up to a really bad decision and didn’t believe that the guy should be punished. But after going through his Facebook and seeing the nonsense he’s posted, some of which can easily be viewed as racist (showing he clearly has some underlying racial issues that go well beyond just this one KKK post), if this guy isn’t removed from the school board, the entire school district should be ashamed of themselves.
He has absolutely no business working for any kind of public school district, let alone sitting on the school board itself.