For anyone who’s been paying attention to the Republican Party for the last few years, if not couple of decades, the rise of someone like Donald Trump to the top of the party wasn’t really a matter of if it was going to happen — just when.
The truth is, the GOP was headed off the deep end long before Trump came along. He just finally pushed them over.
While there are many factors that contributed to the Republican Party devolving from the party of Abraham Lincoln to the party of Donald Trump, I wanted to run through five of the biggest lies that I think collectively pushed them right off a cliff.
1. Their fake version of Christianity: History tells us that if you’re a bunch of unethical, corrupt crooks who want to easily manipulate and control large groups of people and get them to act against their own interests, religion is the best way to do that. Decades ago Republicans realized that if they essentially merged the party in with the religious beliefs of gullible rubes who honestly think Jesus Christ was a white guy with light brown hair from the Middle East, they could get millions of people to continually vote against their own interests.
Republicans have convinced these so-called “Christian conservatives” that Jesus Christ would be an anti-immigrant, gun-loving prick who vilified the poor, backed sexual predators, and supported economic policies based on letting the rich hoard money at the expense of the poor and middle class.
Roy Moore, a credibly accused child molester, in my opinion, perfectly epitomizes the typical hypocrisy of these fake “conservative Christians” who don’t know a damn thing about real Christian values.
2. Abortion and Planned Parenthood: Despite the fact that over 97 percent of what Planned Parenthood does has nothing to do with abortion, if you listen to conservatives, that’s all the organization does. The truth is, because of the work Planned Parenthood does at providing sex education and contraceptives to people, it probably prevents more unplanned pregnancies, which are the leading cause of most abortions, than the number of abortions it performs.
For Republicans, their stance against abortion isn’t about being “pro-life” any more than their opposition to same-sex marriage is about “the sanctity of marriage.” Much like religion, the vilification of Planned Parenthood by painting it as some “baby-killing abortion factory being propped up and supported by the Democrats” is nothing more than the GOP’s way to emotionally blind people to how truly awful their political party is.
Again, look at Alabama and how Roy Moore is trying to win the Senate race there. His campaign spokespeople are attempting to win votes by purposefully ignoring most questions about his past and his disgusting words and actions over the years. Instead, they’re choosing to focus on abortion, lying about Doug Jones’ stance on the issue while passively pushing the notion that even if Moore did target and assault girls as young as 14 years old while in his 30’s, that’s still not as bad as voting for a Democrat. They wouldn’t use this strategy unless they knew it was exactly what Moore’s supporters wanted to hear, and that there was a real chance it could actually work in a state like Alabama.
3. Trickle-down Economics: Easily one of the biggest cons in human history, Republicans successfully managed to convince millions of poor and middle class Americans that the best way to improve their lives is by allowing rich people to hoard more money.
However, here we are, nearly four decades after this scam was pushed on us, and all that’s happened is the rich have gotten richer while figuring out every offshore tax haven trick in the book to shelter their wealth, income inequality reached levels not seen since prior to the Great Depression, and our national debt is quickly approaching $21 trillion.
At some point you’d think conservatives would wake up and realize that it’s going on half a century and cutting taxes for the rich hasn’t benefited them in any way. Unfortunately, that requires the ability to think logically and rationally for yourself, while most conservatives seem quite happy letting Fox News tell them what to think.
4. Traditional American values are under attack — by brown people and Democrats: Seeing as the United States has always, and will always, be an evolving nation, the truth of the matter is, there’s no such thing as “traditional American values.” Generation after generation, times change along with all of humanity. When Republicans talk about “traditional American values” that’s code for “white people are under attack” — because that’s what they really mean.
So much of the GOP’s propaganda over the last few decades has been nothing more than coded racism and bigotry it’s disgusting.
They’re taking our jobs!
Lazy moochers sitting at home on welfare while you work!
We’re taking our country back!
Make America great again!
That’s nothing more than several different ways to say “people of color are the enemy to white culture.”
That’s how Trump became one of the most successful GOP politicians in recent history by building most of his campaign on rhetoric that inspired white supremacists, the KKK, and Nazis.
5. The so-called “fair and balanced” conservative media: It’s not a coincidence that the downward spiral of the Republican Party sped up following the launch of Fox News, a blatantly politically biased “news” network that laughably, up until very recently, said it was “fair and balanced.”
The truth is, the majority of the most well-known conservative analysts, radio hosts, and on-air personalities are nothing but frauds. It’s bottom-feeding hypocrites like Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, and Alex Jones who make up complete and total nonsense to push fear, paranoia, hate, anger, and conspiracies — because it’s extremely profitable to do so.
The conservative media has become so radical, bullshit propaganda and conspiracy sites followed by neo-Nazis and white supremacists like Breitbart are now considered “mainstream,” while Fox News doesn’t even try to hide the fact that it’s basically become nothing more than Trump’s own version of state-run media.
Again, while there are plenty of other contributing factors and lies that helped push Republicans off the proverbial cliff, in my opinion, these are five of the biggest.
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- French President’s Speech to Congress Was a Huge ‘Middle Finger’ to Donald Trump (Video) - April 26, 2018
- Karl Rove’s Advice to Donald Trump: Stop Acting Like You’re Guilty (Video) - April 23, 2018
- Top Fox News Legal Analyst: Comey’s Memos Weren’t Classified but are Damning for Trump if True (Video) - April 23, 2018