This is the thirteenth installment in our weekly fact-check series “The 5 Worst Conservative Memes Of The Week.” For last week’s installment, see here.
For those of you who are seeing this for the first time, the idea behind the countdown is to spotlight the dumbest, most absurd, or downright horrible conservative memes that are floating around on social media.
We also discuss the Facebook page or other social media accounts associated with them when applicable, as many of these images are used to advertise a website, petition, or political cause. In the interest of being fair, I also do a monthly column that addresses idiotic or hateful ones from the left because they do exist as well.
Again, if you are new here, this is the brief synopsis: Have you ever received those email forwards that tell you how people are putting HIV-loaded syringes on gas pump handles or that if you forward within 10 minutes, you will meet the person of your dreams? Yeah, it’s that kind of rubbish designed to prey on the gullible or pull on your heartstrings – and in this case, it’s in the form of conservative memes.
And with the usual explanation out of the way, on to the countdown.
5. Without fail, liberals and conservatives alike have a problem of comparing political opponents to Hitler and the Nazis. Right-wingers often like to say that President Obama is this evil dictator who stole two elections, faked his own birth certificate and is coming for their guns any day now – for the last 6 years. This image from the Facebook page Political Correctness Gone Wild, compares the real deaths of millions of people in Nazi Germany (including members of my own family) to an imagined holocaust of conservatives here in the United States. Funny how this page advertises their purpose as, “To restore common sense and unbiased media reporting in America.”
Of course, he’s also a weak and ineffective leader by their own, conflicting accounts. This meme suggests, like many others from right-wing pages, that an armed uprising against a democratically-elected official is not only patriotic, but totally justified. Don’t worry, if you think they have lost their minds now, just imagine how crazy they’re going to be if Hillary Clinton runs and wins in 2016.
4. One of the Facebook pages liked by Political Correctness Gone Wild is called “Overpasses For America,” which is meant to mock the liberal page “Overpass Light Brigade” which became very popular a couple of years back during Scott Walker’s campaign to crush unions in Wisconsin.
Yes, these geniuses tossed in Fox News with PBS and others as alleged propaganda outlets. The ironically hilarious part is that they seem to regularly share links from americasfreedomfighters.com, which include gems like this one claiming Sandy Hook was a hoax – an article that was also lifted from the wackydoodle Infowars website. You really can’t make this stuff up.
3. The Facebook page Conservative Post shows up in my feed quite a bit, including shares from them into some liberal Facebook groups by conservatives promoting the website of the same name.
By asking questions like this, pages use these images to drive page interaction and gather more likes. Conservative Post and others like to talk about how they think God has been taken out of government (separation of church and state? Hello?) and this image subtly pushes the right-wing narrative that President Obama is not a Christian, or even an American citizen. On the original post, someone named Chelsea left the following comment which had over 400 likes, which lets me know not all hope is lost:
So much ignorance. Our country was founded on religious freedom. The phrase “in God we trust” wasn’t always on our money. It didn’t even appear on the dollar bill til 1957. If you want to be a Christian, by all means do so, but don’t push your views on everyone else. This is my government too, and like others, we’d like to keep religion out of our government.
2. The page Stop Hillary In 2016 works overtime cranking out images and unlike a lot of other conservative pages, they actually have a fairly decent graphic designer. They also don’t seem to represent any one particular website.
Yeah, ok. Just scroll down through all of the images they post, and especially their comments section, and you can see that this is an utter lie. Maybe they aren’t racist, sexist, homophobic, intolerant or extremist – but they sure as hell like to cater to people who are.
1. As mentioned above, Stop Hillary In 2016 likes to say that they aren’t racist, but they sure like the subtle dog whistles and blatant fear mongering. They also conveniently overlook facts when making partisan statements like this one.
First off, there aren’t many major cities in the United States that I can think of that are run by Republicans – not off the top of my head anyhow. Second, while playing this obviously racist angle, they conveniently ignore the fact that inner-city poverty isn’t caused by policy but in areas like Detroit, it’s from a massive decline in manufacturing jobs. They also overlook that many rural “ghettos” (often known as trailer parks) are usually in counties run by, you guessed it, Republicans. Let’s just look at this article by Kevin Williamson from the National Review, a conservative website. Owsley County in Kentucky isn’t desperately poor and dependent because it’s run by one political party or another, it’s that way because there are no jobs. The same is true for many other areas across the country and while there are certainly people who would rather collect a check for doing nothing, if you’re an able-bodied adult, welfare benefits are not easy to collect and come with limits – but never let that get in the way of yet another disingenuous conservative meme.
And that’s it for this week. Join us next time for 5 more of the dumbest, most ridiculous conservative memes that we’ve found floating around social media. As always, remember that just because they put something on the internet, that doesn’t mean it’s true, or intelligent. Just ask the people over at AmericanNews.com about their viral fake story that claimed welfare recipients were going to be given free cars.
Besides, as the vilest Writer has his Readers, so the greatest Liar has his Believers; and it often happens, that if a Lie be believ’d only for an Hour, it has done its Work, and there is no farther occasion for it. Falsehood flies, and the Truth comes limping after it; so that when Men come to be undeceiv’d, it is too late; the Jest is over, and the Tale has had its Effect…” – Jonathan Swift
Would you like to nominate a meme for me to debunk or feature in an upcoming list? Visit my Facebook page and leave me a message with a link to one you want to see addressed – you may just see it here. Thanks to all of the tips from our fans that help make writing this weekly column easier, and a lot of fun.
Latest posts by Manny Schewitz (see all)
- It Looks Inevitable, Donald Trump Will Eventually Be The Republican Nominee - January 17, 2016
- Donald Trump Is Now Using Ted Cruz’s Canadian Birth Against Him - January 14, 2016
- Hillary Clinton’s False Statements On Bernie Sanders’ Healthcare Record Are Disgraceful - January 14, 2016