This is the fifteenth installment in our weekly fact-check series “The 5 Worst Conservative Memes Of The Week.” For last week’s installment, see here.
By now, most of you already know the background behind this series, why we do it, and the social media meta discussion involved – so I’ll skip the lengthy intro I’ve used in the past.
If you aren’t familiar with our weekly countdown and you are seeing this for the first time, please feel free to read through the fact check series. In case you’re wondering, we also do a monthly column featuring some of the worst liberal ones as well.
And now, on to the countdown.
5. The conservative media and blogosphere went nuts over Ferguson, and certainly made a ton of money off web traffic from all of the stories they ran pretending that there isn’t any problem with racism these days, and shooting an unarmed teenager was totally justified.
It’s especially hypocritical for them to post this, because pages like Barack Obama’s Dead Fly that uploaded this image are all about racial tension and blaming everyone but themselves for America’s problems, because profit and self promotion. These are just a few of the awful conservative responses to Ferguson, I also had to leave out some of the most outrageous ones since the “internet gods” tend to get mad at me for posting them in articles.
4. Conservative Tribune had a field day with Ferguson, and as usual, make the statement that racism is only still an issue because of Rev. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. While I’m not really fan of either of those two, nobody plays up to racism for profit like sites such as Conservative Tribune and the myriad of other sites in the same click bait and pander to bigots vein as them.
Here’s a novel idea for the owners of Conservative Tribune and others like them – how about YOU get a real job which involves effort more intense than posting right-wing memes from other sites as your own, or posting links that are little more than a YouTube video with a couple of sentences typed around it?
3. Right Wing News and their website were also more than happy to cash in on the Ferguson news story, and promptly play the “why don’t they get a job?” card like conservatives love to do every time anyone who lives in poverty complains about injustice and inequality – whether the person complaining is actually unemployed or not.
If you really want to lose faith humanity, click here to see the picture where they originally posted it, and the comments that followed. In the mindset of the simplistic conservative, if people just have a job, that somehow magically solves all their problems. It’s also the snarled response to any time someone points out that racism and police brutality are very real issues that minorities in America have to deal with. Plus, since they as white heterosexual Christians haven’t been discriminated against (while somehow being horrifically persecuted for the same thing), that somehow means that inequality and injustice aren’t a problem in this country. Get a job, if only it was so simple.
2. This meme popped up in my feed from where a friend of mine commented on it. This was posted by a page called “Liberty Memes” which is more of a libertarian page than your usual pandering conservative one.
Right, because providing birth control and other women’s healthcare which includes the occasional abortion (3 percent of total services, in case you’re wondering) is exactly the same as police officers gunning down young black men. False equivalency much?
1. This image was making the rounds due to the protests in Ferguson over the refusal of the grand jury to indict Darren Wilson for the killing of Michael Brown. While I personally don’t think rioting helps the cause, I can understand why they did and that anger isn’t always rational. Anyhow, a bunch of pages passed this off as their own and it was a viral image that I saw a friend comment on from a page called “Grunts” referring to infantry in the military.
82 million servicemen and women died for your freedom? Not even close, try about one and a quarter million total over the last almost 240 years, with half of those coming from the Civil War (1861-1865). Any casualty of war is regrettable, but 82 million? We’d have an Arlington Cemetery in every major city if that was the case. Seriously, does anyone ever fact check something so ridiculous before sharing it, let alone uploading it to their page?
The sad thing is that no matter how many times Politifact or other websites debunk something, people will still believe it, because they want to. You can put facts and figures in front of them and confront them with the reality of a situation all day long, and they’ll still put their fingers in their eyes and scream “Benghazi, birth certificate, Muslim! Benghazi, birth certificate, Muslim! Benghazi, birth certificate, Muslim!” all day long.
And that’s it for this week. Join us next time for 5 more of the dumbest, most ridiculous conservative memes that we’ve found floating around social media. As always, remember that just because they put something on the internet, that doesn’t mean it’s true, or intelligent. Just ask the few people who were duped into watching Kirk Cameron “save” Christmas in a movie that makes the Hallmark Channel look like a Spielberg production.
Would you like to nominate a meme for me to debunk or feature in an upcoming list? Visit my Facebook page and leave me a message with a link to one you want to see addressed – you may just see it here. Thanks to all of the tips from our fans that help make writing this weekly column easier, and a lot of fun.
Latest posts by Manny Schewitz (see all)
- It Looks Inevitable, Donald Trump Will Eventually Be The Republican Nominee - January 17, 2016
- Donald Trump Is Now Using Ted Cruz’s Canadian Birth Against Him - January 14, 2016
- Hillary Clinton’s False Statements On Bernie Sanders’ Healthcare Record Are Disgraceful - January 14, 2016