After years of Republicans pushing some of the most ridiculous conspiracies I’ve ever heard about a president, in a rather hilarious twist of irony, Donald Trump is essentially nearly every lie conservatives told about Barack Obama.
Even many of Trump’s own critical tweets directed at Obama from years past have shown him to be slightly prophetic when it comes his own laziness, corruption, and incompetence.
Here are a few tweets that have aged quite nicely:
The global warming we should be worried about is the global warming caused by NUCLEAR WEAPONS in the hands of crazy or incompetent leaders!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 8, 2014
We pay for Obama's travel so he can fundraise millions so Democrats can run on lies. Then we pay for his golf.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 14, 2014
The electoral college is a disaster for a democracy.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 7, 2012
As I’ve said more times than I can count over the last few months — you can’t make this stuff up.
It’s been rather interesting watching Trump’s “presidency” more or less become everything Republicans accused Obama of being.
When our former president was in office, practically every single day I had conservatives telling me some, if not all, of the following. Obama was:
- Making the United States weaker.
- Empowering our enemies with his incompetence and weakness to act out against us.
- Pushing us closer to WWIII.
- A traitor who was working with our enemies to bring down the United States.
- Always on vacation/playing golf.
- Not qualified to be president.
- Wanting to be a king/dictator.
- Pushing fascism.
- A racist.
- Running the least transparent administration in U.S. history.
- Losing respect among our allies.
- Turning the United States into a laughingstock.
- Against the Constitution.
- A pathological liar.
- Dividing the country.
The list goes on and on.
Unfortunately for Republicans, none of that was actually true. Though that didn’t stop the majority of conservatives from believing most, if not all, of the nonsense I just listed.
However, most of that is true as it relates to Donald Trump. He’s someone who:
- Has eroded trust with our allies by bashing the EU, NATO, and the U.N. while refusing to say anything negative about Russia.
- Our enemies know is a buffoon our allies don’t trust who has no idea what he’s doing.
- Doesn’t understand saying things like “fire and fury” to a nuclear-armed nation inches us closer toward an actual nuclear war.
- Has continued to refuse to say a single negative thing about Russia or Vladimir Putin, while being more than willing to attack, criticize, and undermine the integrity of U.S. intelligence agencies.
- Has spent nearly half his weekends since being sworn in at one of his various resorts playing golf, and is on pace to cost taxpayers more on personal travel expenses during his first year in office than the country spent on Obama during his entire eight years as president.
- Has the vocabulary of a small child who admitted he didn’t know being “president” would be “so hard.”
- Seems to idolize authoritarian rulers while showing clear disdain at the fact our laws and Constitution prevent him from controlling the media or the Judicial Branch.
- Shares many of the same political tactics and strategies as many of history’s most infamous dictators.
- Has inspired white nationalists and Nazis to become more active and publicly outspoken than they’ve been in decades, which has already led to violence and death.
- Still refuses to release his tax returns, fired the FBI for not giving into his demands on Russia, and is actively trying to undermine the credibility of special counselor Robert Mueller who’s overseeing the investigation into whether or not his campaign colluded with Russia.
- Has frequently banned any recording devices from daily White House press briefings.
- Is being mocked all around the world by foreign officials who know he’s a simple-minded idiot.
- Has single-handedly eroded the confidence many around the world have in the United States, turning this country into a daily punchline of the joke the international community is using to laugh at us.
- Almost daily lashes out at the free media for not serving as his own state-run propaganda machine, has attacked federal judges for ruling against him, and is trying to launch his own “news channel” on Facebook which conservative website RedState.com compared to propaganda you’d see out of a nation like North Korea.
- Is easily the most dishonest person ever “elected president.”
- Has divided the country more than we’ve been in decades.
In so many ways, Trump is exactly what conservatives always accused Obama of being and doing — but never actually was. That’s a truth you’ll never hear any Republican actually admit, which is why I don’t hesitate to call today’s Republican Party and those who support it the biggest damn hypocrites I’ve ever witnessed.