We’ve all found ourselves, at some point or another, trying to get through a day where nothing seems to go right and multiple events combine to leave us feeling humiliated and defeated.
Well, Tuesday was one of those days for Republicans.
Let’s start with Donald Trump’s rather disastrous press conference concerning money he claims to have raised for veterans groups.
First, he literally tried to claim that he wanted to keep his fundraising for vets “private,” which is a lie so laughably ridiculous it’s unbelievable that people didn’t bust out laughing the moment he said it.
This is someone who specifically organized a “fundraiser for vets” as a political stunt to shield him from criticism following his decision to skip a GOP presidential debate because he was scared to face off against Fox News’ Megyn Kelly. Not only was this spectacle a clear exploitation of veterans to mask his own cowardice, but he scheduled the televised event to begin at the start of the debate itself. To say nothing about the numerous references to the event he’s made over the last several months.
Then he basically threw a public hissy fit because he’s not exactly the biggest fan of the First Amendment. You see, Trump apparently believes the media should be nothing more than lap dogs and cheerleaders instead of fact-checkers and people who ask him tough questions. When they do the latter, he calls them “nasty,” “unfair” and whines endlessly about them.
Oh, and we still aren’t really sure how much he actually raised.
In other news coming from the land of Drumpf, 381 pages of documents were made public relating to Trump University that exposed the whole thing as nothing more than a sleazy scam aimed at conning people out of thousands of dollars.
But enough about Trump.
It was also announced on Tuesday that prominent conservative media personality Glenn Beck was suspended by SiriusXM and could be cancelled altogether after one of his guests, conservative author Brad Thor, seemingly suggested that someone should use “Second Amendment remedies” on Donald Trump if he were to be elected president.
Then there was, perhaps, the saddest news of the day.
In case you hadn’t heard, often completely delusional conservative pundit Bill Kristol has been one of the most well-known faces of the “#NeverTrump” movement of Republicans who claim they’re going to do whatever they can to stop Trump from becoming president. For a few weeks there have been rumors that these anti-Trump Republicans were going to mount some sort of third-party campaign against “The Donald.” At one point, Mitt Romney’s name had been tossed around as a potential candidate — someone who would have definitely had a profound impact on Trump’s chances.
Well, we now know the “big name” individual who these folks are looking at as the “earth shattering candidate” who could take down Donald Trump: David French.
Who’s David French, you ask? Well, he’s an Iraq War veteran — so there’s that. But other than that he’s basically just a middle-of-the-road conservative writer for the National Review.
Yes, the candidate who Kristol is apparently trying to target to “take down Trump” is someone who almost nobody has actually heard of, who writes for a right-wing publication that many conservatives don’t even take seriously.
In other words, the “#NeverTrump” movement is all but dead and the Republican party is absolutely screwed.
So, in one day:
- Donald Trump comically said he never wanted to publicly exploit veterans — even though he set up a televised event to do exactly that which aired during the presidential debate he skipped because of his fear of Megyn Kelly.
- Trump then proceeded to basically throw a temper tantrum during a press conference because he doesn’t like the fact that it’s the media’s job to ask him tough questions.
- Then it was more or less revealed that Trump University was nothing but a giant scam geared toward trying to con people out of thousands of dollars.
- Glenn Beck was then suspended – and faces a possible complete cancellation of his SiriusXM show – because one of his guests seemed to suggest that someone use Second Amendment remedies on Trump.
- Then it was revealed that the “hope” of the #NeverTrump movement to run a third-party candidate to “save the GOP from Donald Trump” — is a fairly no-name writer for a moderately unpopular conservative website, David French. Have fun with that, Bill Kristol.
The bottom line is, Tuesday was a rather embarrassing failure of a day for the Republican party and conservatives in general. Hopefully November 8th will be an even bigger disaster for the GOP.
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- Former RNC Chair Rips GOP for Not Publicly Condemning Trump’s Love of Russia (Video) - March 21, 2018
- CNN’s John King Slams Trump’s Spelling and Grammar: ‘Fails a Third-Grade Test’ (Video) - March 21, 2018
- Jake Tapper Hilariously Mocks Trump’s New ‘Deep State Conspiracy’ Lawyer (Video) - March 19, 2018