I’m sure everyone reading this has experienced the painful task of trying to debate and/or reason with a supporter of Donald Trump at some point or another. It’s an experience that often leaves me feeling as if I’ve just spoken with someone who’s either been brainwashed by a cult or is legitimately crazy. In all my years debating politics with my Republican counterparts, I’ve never experienced anything quite like dealing with people who can literally watch a video of Trump saying or doing something — then still deny that it’s true.
But it’s not just their near complete denial of reality that’s so mind-boggling. The hypocrisy of many of these folks is absolutely astounding. People who were chanting “lock her up!” because Hillary Clinton used a private email server over four years ago don’t seem remotely bothered by the fact that Russia attacked the United States in a direct effort to undermine our democracy and help elect Vladimir Putin’s favorite candidate. The same candidate who’s praised this Russian tyrant throughout his campaign, choosing to attack and discredit our own intelligence officials instead of condemning an enemy who ordered an attack against this country.
It’s just astonishing to see millions of people believe a woman who was cleared by the FBI should be in prison because of a damn email server she used over four years ago, while they make excuses for a man who may have very well committed treason in his run to the White House — an election he only won because of this Russian cyber attack.
However, that’s not even the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the seemingly endless list of things Trump supporters deny, overlook or make excuses for when it comes to Donald Trump that they would never let a Democrat get away with.
Just imagine if a Democrat ran for president as someone who:
- Had at least one affair, was on their third marriage, and had 5 kids from three different spouses.
- Belittled POWs, saying that they’re not heroes, because they like people who weren’t captured.
- Was caught lying about how much money they had claimed to raise for veterans.
- Wouldn’t release their tax returns.
- Went nearly 20 years without paying any income tax.
- Was caught on video admitting to being a sexual predator.
- Talked about the size of their penis during a debate.
- Constantly had outbursts on Twitter like a petulant child.
- Mocked a reporter with disabilities.
- Defended and praised Vladimir Putin.
- Attacked the credibility of U.S. intelligence agencies and spies.
- Refused to condemn an enemy who attacked us.
The list goes on and on.
But when you get right down to it, there’s a very simple reason why trying to reason with Trump supporters is pointless: Because they simply don’t care.
If he lies, they’ll reject any source that debunks him. If he contradicts himself, they’ll make excuses for his contradiction. If he sells them something completely ridiculous (such as asking the taxpayers to pay for his wall, claiming Mexico will “pay for it later”), they’ll blindly believe that ridiculous scam without thinking twice.
They. Simply. Don’t. Care.
These people have been so indoctrinated by Fox News and right-wing blogs replete with conspiracy theorists and propaganda that most of them would really rather elect a puppet of Putin than a Democrat. Many of them honestly believe that people like Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton are worse than someone like Vladimir Putin.
They don’t care if Trump had to lie, cheat, or even get help from the Russian government to win — which is the only reason why he barely won — just as long as he won.
It’s a sad time in this country. We’re dealing with millions of people who, instead of being supporters of a political party, are really nothing more than brainwashed members of the largest cult in human history. People who reject facts, science and indisputable reality because none of those things tell them what they’ve been indoctrinated to believe.
That’s why it’s impossible to reason with them — because you’re not dealing with people who possess the ability to be reasonable.
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- Alabama Voters Do The Right Thing, Send Doug Jones to Senate and Roy Moore Packing - December 12, 2017
- The Anatomy of a Con Man: Donald Trump’s Bullsh*t is Always the Same - December 12, 2017
- Donald Trump’s Tuesday Twitter Meltdown Was One of His Most Revolting Yet - December 12, 2017