Throughout Donald Trump’s campaign, Republicans have eagerly supported him despite a seemingly never-ending list of comments he’s made that they would never let President Obama (or any Democrat, for that matter) get away with.
Even when it comes to Hillary Clinton, they wouldn’t let her get away with many of the same things they’ve feverishly defended Trump for doing.
Let’s run through a few of these, shall we?
1. Degrading Sen. John McCain’s war record (and POWs in general): Remember when Republicans blew a gasket after President Obama saluted a Marine while he was holding a cup of coffee? Now just imagine if he had said a Republican senator wasn’t a hero because he likes people who “weren’t captured,” while simultaneously degrading all POWs since they were all captured.
2. Spent months lying about how much he had raised for veterans groups until he was finally exposed by the media: Speaking of vets, after Trump spent months bragging about the money he had raised for veterans groups, it was discovered that he hadn’t actually raised as much as he claimed he had. It wasn’t until after he was busted lying about the amount raised that he personally wrote a check to cover the difference. Had Obama spent months lying about how much money he raised for vets, Republicans would have lost it.
3. Attacked the parents of a fallen American hero: Imagine if President Obama criticized the mother of the Benghazi victim who blames Hillary Clinton for her son’s death even though facts don’t support what she says? While both Obama and Clinton could easily do so because this grieving mother has made accusations that aren’t based on factual information, neither do. Yet, Trump wasted no time in bashing the Khans, whose son died fighting in Iraq, for criticizing his bigotry at the DNC. Had Obama said similar comments to the Benghazi mother that Trump said about the Khans, they’d be bringing it up every single day.
4. His family life: If President Obama was a self-admitted adulterer who had been divorced twice, was on his third marriage to a woman nearly a quarter century younger who had posed nude in the past and had five children by three different women — the attacks on his character and morals by the GOP would have been relentless.
5. Not releasing his tax returns: With all the absurd conspiracies conservatives have concocted about Obama and Clinton, could you imagine if either refused to release their tax returns? Hell, conservatives wanted two forms of Obama’s birth certificate and his college transcripts, I can’t even imagine what they would be saying if he or Clinton were flat-out refusing to release their tax documents even though every presidential candidate for the last 40 years had done exactly that.
6. Defending Russia from accusations that they’re trying to tamper with and manipulate our election: At this point it’s basically indisputable that the Russian government is behind the DNC hacks and the attacks on voting information in several states. Yet, despite our intelligence community officially implicating Russia, Trump continues to defend the country, casting doubt on the evidence our security experts have used to link Putin to what’s going on — even suggesting at the second debate that there might not have been any hacks.
Just think about what Republicans would be saying if all evidence pointed toward Russia trying to help elect a Democrat, but a candidate like President Obama or Hillary Clinton continued to cast doubt on the overwhelming evidence and downplay the significance of what was going on. It would be the top story on Fox News every hour on the hour: Russian government trying to help elect Obama/Clinton.
7. Running a campaign vilifying trade deals while having most of his company’s products made overseas: The truth is, Trump’s made bashing trade deals and outsourcing jobs a big part of his campaign even though he’s used these trade deals to outsource a lot of his company’s manufacturing to other countries for cheap labor. The blatant hypocrisy of it all is astounding, and something no Republican would ignore if a Democrat was doing the same thing — yet Republicans seem to be perfectly okay with Trump’s actions completely contradicting his campaign’s rhetoric.
8. Saying that a judge couldn’t do their job because of race and/or ethnicity: While his supporters didn’t seem to mind one bit when Trump accused a federal judge of not being able to ethically carry out his sworn duties because of his Mexican heritage, I can’t imagine President Obama saying that a white judge wouldn’t be fair to him because of race going over too well with millions of Trump’s most devout followers.
9. Admitting to enjoying sexually assaulting women and trying to cheat on his wife with a married woman: While Trump has tried to dismiss his repulsive comments to Billy Bush as “locker room talk,” the truth is in that video Trump admitted to enjoying sexually assaulting women and trying to have another affair, this time with a woman who was, herself, married. Something tells me that if President Obama said something like that, Republicans wouldn’t be okay with dismissing such a horrific comment as “just locker room talk.”
10. Agreeing that his daughter is a “nice piece of ass”: First, I’m pretty sure President Obama’s reaction to a man asking him if he thought one of his daughters was a “nice piece of ass” wouldn’t be to agree with him. However, if he did, I’m almost certain, like #4, conservatives would be using that sort of creepy comment as a prime example of what a sick person he is.
11. Saying lewd, borderline sexual comments about a 10-year-old: This one is indefensible. At what point is it ever okay to be a 46-year-old man looking at a 10-year-old then bragging to someone next to her that you’re going to marry her in 10 years? That’s nauseating on a whole other level.
12. Saying that a woman’s weight was a “real problem,” then going on a Twitter tirade at 3 a.m. where he called that same woman disgusting and instructed people to seek out a non-existent sex tape in an effort to slander her name: This one is pretty self-explanatory.
13. Talked about the size of his penis during a presidential debate: I’m sure we all remember Trump referencing his penis size during one of the many GOP presidential debates. If you mentally blocked it out in a calculated effort to forget that it ever happened, let me apologize for reminding you.
14. Admitted to avoiding paying taxes for nearly two decades: While Trump and his supporters have claimed it proves how “smart” he is that he apparently went at least 18 years without paying any taxes, if it was someone like President Obama who had done the same thing, they’d be calling it tax evasion.
15. Bragging about buying off politicians: I can’t help but laugh at the idea that a guy who’s repeatedly admitted to trying to buy off politicians is the same person claiming he’s the one to make our government less corrupt. The level of ignorance it takes for someone to actually believe that is astounding.
I could keep going, but I’ll stop there. Perhaps I’ll do a “Part 2” in the next week or two.
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- To Everyone Who Opposes Trump: Please Stop Asking This Question About His Supporters - October 23, 2017
- Trump Calls Sgt. Johnson’s Widow a Liar Within Minutes of Her Confirming He Disrespected Her Husband (Video) - October 23, 2017
- John Kelly Has Disgraced Himself, this Country and Our Military - October 21, 2017