During the 2016 presidential election I’ve seen and heard a lot of incredibly stupid things, but what I dealt with on Saturday concerning the right-wing reaction to Hillary Clinton’s “basket of deplorables” comment was so utterly ridiculous I’m still not sure if my mind can fully grasp how idiotic this reaction has been.
First, let’s focus on the irony of people who support one of the most vile and offensive presidential candidates in modern history pretending to be “outraged” because they think what someone else said was offensive. You would have to be as stupid as most Trump supporters are to back a candidate who launched his campaign calling most Mexican immigrants rapists and criminals, then have the gall to claim being called “deplorable” is offensive.
Honestly, I really can’t believe we’re having to address the “outrage” of people who support a candidate who’s insulted practically everyone in the country because someone said something about them that wasn’t remotely as offensive as the laundry list of things their candidate has said about others.
This is the a-typical bully mentality that Trump and his supporters share. They love to run their mouths, attack and criticize others, but when you do it to them — then they’re the biggest crybabies of anyone.
Oh, and for the record, Clinton only said “half.” So, if you’re “offended” by her comment, then you must believe that you’re in the half of deplorable racist, sexist, xenophobic, homophobic, Islamophobic Trump supporters to which she was referring. Otherwise — what the hell are you “offended” by?
I want these “offended” geniuses to answer this: If Donald Trump came out and:
- Backed same-sex marriage and laws to prevent LGBT Americans from discrimination.
- Completely reversed course on his Muslim ban, saying that we needed to stop stereotyping an entire religion.
- Said he supported amnesty and common sense immigration reform like the bipartisan bill the Senate passed a few years ago.
- Admitted he would never build his wall.
Would many of those supporting him be happy or upset by those policy changes?
By the way, that question was rhetorical. Clearly, most of his supporters would not be happy with those changes. In other words, if Trump became less bigoted, sexist, xenophobic, homophobic and Islamophobic — his supporters would actually back him less.
So, spare me this sanctimonious bullshit about being “offended” because Hillary Clinton called out what a large percentage of his supporters actually are.
This is all a catch-22 because it takes the same special type of blind ignorance to be a Trump supporter as it does to not realize how idiotic these folks look pretending to be “outraged” as they back a mouth-breathing bottom-feeder like Trump.
Furthermore — she was right!
But what’s even more hilariously hypocritical about all of this is the very same people supporting a candidate who’s built a lot of his rhetoric around his “anti-political correct” nonsense are the same people whining and crying because Clinton said something that wasn’t PC.
These people are really going to sit there, ranting on and on about how this was such a horrible thing for her to say, all while supporting a candidate who:
- Called most Mexican immigrants rapists and criminals.
- Degraded POWs and Sen. John McCain’s service to our country.
- Mocked a man with disabilities.
- Once sent out a tweet suggesting that women should have expected to be sexually assaulted by men in the military.
- Said he wanted to ban all Muslims from entering the United States.
- Accused a federal judge of being unable to do his job fairly and legally because he had Mexican heritage.
- Said he personally witnessed “thousands and thousands” of Muslims celebrating in the streets of New Jersey on 9/11.
- Attacked the Gold Star parents of a fallen American hero.
- Once sent out a tweet calling all of President Obama’s supporters racists.
- Still refuses to say if he believes President Obama is an American citizen.
- Has repeatedly defended Russian President Vladimir Putin.
- Encouraged the Russian government to commit espionage against the United States.
- Has repeatedly advocated committing war crimes such as seizing Iraq’s oil, killing the families of terrorists and committing torture.
- On several occasions has shown absolutely no respect to our military leaders.
And these folks want to be taken seriously? Talk about a total lack of any and all self-awareness — good Lord.
Donald Trump’s behavior has been so ridiculous that many have actually joked that he seems to be trying to lose the presidency. Yet, despite what an absolute train wreck of a presidential candidate he’s been, he’s still supported by millions of conservative voters.
Trump’s campaign was built on bigotry and fueled by hate, ignorance, racism, sexism, paranoia, conspiracies, Islamophobia, xenophobia and embracing rhetoric that sounds like it was taken from a white nationalist’s playbook. In fact, because of the tone of his campaign, we haven’t seen white supremacy groups this politically motivated and involved in decades.
So it’s absolutely ludicrous to see widespread outrage from the right over a comment that wouldn’t even rank in the “Top 20” among Trump’s seemingly endless list of vile and disgusting comments.
My advice is this: If you don’t want to be viewed as someone in the “basket of deplorables,” then maybe you shouldn’t support one of the most repulsive, bigoted, racist and offensive presidential candidates we’ve seen in the last 40-50 years.
If you choose to support him, then don’t be ticked off and throw a little hissy fit when people call you out for being exactly what you are — a woefully inept fool who supports a pathological lying sociopath who’s fueled his campaign with hate, racism, sexism, bigotry, Islamophobia, homophobia, xenophobia, conspiracies and ignorance.
And if you’re someone who supports him who doesn’t fit into one of the categories to which Clinton was referring, then it’s like I asked earlier, why are you offended?
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- Rick Wilson Excoriates Trump Supporter: ‘Don’t You Dare Talk About Respect’ (Video) - March 17, 2018
- Everything Facebook’s Doing to Combat Fake News is Only Making the Problem Worse - March 16, 2018
- Fox News’ The Five Advocates Committing War Crimes, Denies Waterboarding is Torture (Video) - March 15, 2018