As many of you probably heard, our country recently endured two more public shootings. One in Nevada where two police officers and a civilian were tragically killed, and the other at Seattle Pacific University where one person was murdered.
And sadly, as these shootings continue to occur, it only makes guns rights activists believe that more guns are the answer.
Except, with both of these shootings, a few popular pro-gun talking points were essentially debunked.
First, in Seattle, the gunman was taken down by a “good guy with pepper spray” – no gun needed. Not only that, it was the limited ammo capacity of their gun that reduced the rounds the shooter was able to fire. This ultimately led to the shooter being incapacitated as they tried to reload.
So, tell me again how limits on magazine size wouldn’t restrict some of the lethal capabilities of those who might commit such heinous acts of violence? Because it seems a limited ammo capacity is exactly what prevented the shooting in Seattle from being much worse.
Then there’s the shooting in Nevada where two shooters targeted two police officers, murdering them inside of a local CiCi’s Pizza restaurant. They also killed someone at a nearby Walmart before killing themselves.
There goes that whole “openly carrying guns” thing being a deterrent, huh? I’m pretty sure both officers were displaying guns at the time and that didn’t at all seem to deter two criminals who were intent on committing their horrific crimes.
And Nevada is one of the most pro-gun states in the country. Where was the “good guy with a gun” to prevent the murders of these three victims? Hell, Walmart sells guns and that didn’t save the innocent victim who was murdered there.
Nobody in CiCi’s Pizza had a gun in one of the most pro-gun states in the country? Heck, they allow citizens to both openly carry and have concealed handguns in Nevada.
And I’m not even going to get too deep into the fact that they laid a cloth featuring the Gadsden Flag (aka the tea party flag) across the bodies of the officers and supposedly yelled, “This is a revolution.” Or the fact that they supposedly were at the Bundy ranch showing their support with other “open carry” gun nuts just a few weeks back.
But here we have two different shootings which essentially show that:
- Limited ammo capacity can drastically reduce how lethal a shooter can be.
- A “good guy with pepper spray” can incapacitate someone with a gun – you don’t need more guns.
- Criminals intent on killing aren’t deterred by openly displayed guns.
- In a very pro-gun state no “good guy with a gun” stopped two “bad guys with guns” from murdering three people.
- That when guns are openly displayed criminals can potentially take those weapons to use later (the two shooters in Nevada took the officers guns after murdering them, though no reports as of writing this indicate if they were used in their shootout with police officers).
All of those debunk several key talking points gun nuts often use when battling those of us who believe the best way to prevent some of these shootings is by doing our best to ensure bad guys with guns, don’t get guns.
Because at the end of the day, that’s the only way we’re ever going to reduce gun violence in this country. By doing our best to ensure bad guys don’t get guns.
Latest posts by Allen Clifton (see all)
- Rick Wilson Excoriates Trump Supporter: ‘Don’t You Dare Talk About Respect’ (Video) - March 17, 2018
- Everything Facebook’s Doing to Combat Fake News is Only Making the Problem Worse - March 16, 2018
- Fox News’ The Five Advocates Committing War Crimes, Denies Waterboarding is Torture (Video) - March 15, 2018